Choquequirao Trek and Trips
DAY 1: CUSCO - CACHORA - COCA MASANA - PLAYA ROSALINA
We will leave Cusco bright and early at 4:00 a.m. We will arrive at the town of Cachora at 7:30 a.m., where we will enjoy breakfast and meet up with our wranglers and arrange our equipment, mules, and horses. It is a 2-hour hike to Capuliyoc (2,915 meters/9,564 feet above sea level) where we can enjoy our first beautiful views of the Apurimac Valley stretching out below and the snow-capped peaks of Padrayoc and Wayna Cachora above. We will then descend toward Coca Masana (2,330 meters/7,644 feet above sea level) where the climate becomes noticeably warmer and the flora and fauna begin to change. Finally we arrive at Playa Rosalina (Rosalina Beach) at 1,550 meters/5,085 feet above seal level, right beside the raging Apurimac River, where we will set up camp and spend the night.
DAY 2: PLAYA ROSALINA - CHOQUEQUIRAO
Day 2 is the toughest of our 5-day hike. After an early breakfast, we will climb a steep trail. Our 5-hour hike will take us to Raqaypata beside the Chunchullumayo River, where we will enjoy a late lunch and a well-deserved rest. Along the way, we will have the chance to see orchids, wild flowers, and a number of bird species. From Raqaypata to Choquequirao (3,035 meters/9,957 feet above sea level) it is a 2-hour hike, and we will arrive at the Choquequirao archaeological site in time to enjoy the sunset and maybe even to see a condor flying nearby. Our campsite will be just outside the Choquequirao ruins.
DAY 3: CHOQUEQUIRAO - RAQAYPATA
Day 3 will be dedicated to exploring the incredible Choquequirao archeological complex. Our guide will explain the history and importance of the site, and afterwards we will have free time to visit the various sectors of the archeological complex. Late in the afternoon we will start the return trek, and we will make camp at Raqaypata
DAY 4: RAQAYPATA - CHIKISCA
After breakfast we will continue our return journey, beginning with a steep descent down to the Apurimac River where we will stop and have lunch. In the afternoon, we will climb for approximately 4 hours and then make camp at Coca Masana.
DAY 5: CHIKISCA - CACHORA - CUSCO
Day 5 will be the last of our trek. We will be able to appreciate the canyon of the Apurimac River as we follow a new trail that crosses the throat of the canyon. We will have an impressive view of the canyon from Wayna Qalli - considered to be one of the most spectacular in South America. We will ultimately arrive at Cachora and take our bus back to Cusco.
*Campsites are subject to change, depending on the size of the group
- Fixed Departures: Every Friday
- Group Size: Depends on the client
- Fixed departures: Depends on the client
- Transportation in and out: Cusco - Cachora - Cusco (private bus)
- Guide: Professional English and Spanish speaking guide; 2 guides for groups over 12 people
- Cook: In charge of meal preparation
- Horsemen and horses: Carry tents, cooking equipment and also carry backpacks, sleeping bags and mattresses (Max. 15 kilos/ 33 lbs per person)
- Emergency Horse: Just in case someone needs help
- Ticket: Entrance fee to Choquequirao
- Meals: 5 Breakfasts/5 Lunches/4 Dinners/Snacks and afternoon tea
- Equipment: tents ( 2 people in each 3-person-capacity ), Therm-a-rest sleeping pad, dinner tent, special biodegradable bathroom tent, kitchen tent, shower tent, tables and chairs, table settings, first aid kit, including emergency oxygen bottle
- Sleeping bag
- US$12 Sleeping bag rental(-10°C) for the whole trek:
- US$15 Single accommodation
ALTERNATIVE ROUTES: Cachicata to Machu Picchu Huchuyqosqo to Machu Picchu Lares to Machu Picchu Huchuyqosqo Patabamba To Machu Picchu Salkantay to Machu Picchu Salkantay Santa Teresa to Machu Picchu Vilcabamba to Machu Picchu
ALTERNATIVE ROUTES: Aausangate Choquequirao Vilcabamba Llama Trek Choquequirao Lares VILCABAMBA
ECOTURISM: Manu Tambopata
FESTIVITIES: Inti Raymi Paucartambo Qoyllorriti
PACKAGES: Inti Raymi Packages 7d/6n Inca Empire Package 8d/7n Puma Package 9d/8n Inti Raymi Peru 10d/9n Majestic Peru Package 13d/12n Traditional Peru Packages 14d/13n Q'ente Package 16d/15n Condor Package 16d/15n Adventure Peru Packages 16d/15n Alternative Condor Packages 17d/16n Extraordinary Peru Package 20d/19n
TRADITIONAL TOURS: City Tour Sacred Valley Tour Machupicchu