EXPEDITION LLAMA TREK CUSCO AUSANGATE - SIBINACOCHA 7D/6N
DAY 1: CUSCO - TINQUI
From Cusco we will travel east over a high pass to the traditional highland town of Ocongate. Just beyond the town is Tinqui, the trailhead for the Vilcanota Range. We will camp by the Mapoche River at 3,800 m/ 12,464'.
DAY 2: TINQUI - COMERCOCHA
With llamas carrying the camp gear and personal equipment, we will climb steadily through rolling hills dotted with herds of llamas and alpacas. The snows of Nevado Ausangate (6,374 m/20,906') dominate the skyline directly ahead of us. We will eat lunch by hot springs at the hamlet of Pacchanta, and then continue climbing to camp in a pasture by Qomercocha Lake (4,570 m/15,000').
B / L / D
DAY 3 : PACCHASPATA
We will trek past glacial tarns and isolated shepherds' huts toward the magnificent Pacchaspata Pass (5,050 m/16,560'). The trail follows a moraine above a glacier that flows down from the snow-covered peaks east of our route. On most treks we see troops of vicuñas (the wild, graceful relative of the llama) amid the rugged scree and glacial ice. We will trek beneath the towering west face of the Jatunjampa peaks. Continuing down the valley, a new vista opens up of the south face of Nevado Ausangate. We will continue down the gentle valley and then turn up a side valley to camp near Hacienda Quilleta (about 4,400m/ 14,430'), below Condor Pass.
B / L / D
DAY 4 : SIBINACOCHA
We will climb steadily to reach the summit of Condor Pass at 5,100 m/16,728'. We will traverse a plateau until we reach the head of Sibinacocha Lake, a glacial lake some 15 km in length and 2 km wide. Flamingos may be seen along the shore. Save for the occasional stone shepherd's hut; there is no sign of population in this vast valley.
DAY 5 : CCASCAMACOCHA
We will hike around the head of the lake and work our way eastward into another valley of even more sublime beauty. Our destination is Ccascamacocha, a smaller lake with a fascinating concentration of high altitude Andean birds. We will observe giant coots, which build up piles of mud in the shallows to make their nests, pairs of Huallata (Andean geese), ducks, and more flamingos. Several Quechua families have permanent homes by the lakeshore where they tend enormous herds of alpacas.
B /L / D
DAY 6 : YAYAMARY
The highlight of the trek is today's optional scramble up Cerro Yayamari, a 5,500 m snow-covered peak in the center of this breathtaking panorama of lakes and glaciated summits.
B / L / D
DAY 7 : YAYAMARY - CUSCO
Today, we will hike out to the southern end of Sibinacocha, the terminus of a new road, where our vehicle awaits. After we load up, we will return to Cusco and to your hotel.
- Group Size: Depends on the client
- Fixed departures: Depends on the client
- Transportation in and out: Cusco - Tinki - Cusco (private bus)
- Guide: Professional English and Spanish speaking guide; 2 guides for groups over 12 people
- Cook: In charge of meal preparation
- Horsemen and horses: Carry tents, cooking equipment and also carry backpacks, sleeping bags and mattresses (Max. 15 kilos/ 33 lbs per person)
- Emergency Horse: Just in case someone needs help
- Meals: 6 Breakfasts/7 Lunches/6 Dinners/Snacks and afternoon tea
- Equipment: tents ( 2 people in each 3-person-capacity ), Therm-a-rest sleeping pad, dinner tent, special biodegradable bathroom tent, kitchen tent, shower tent,
- tables and chairs, table settings, first aid kit, including emergency oxygen bottle
- Breakfast the 1st day, usually hotels offer this service
- Sleeping bag
- US$17 Sleeping bag rental(-10°C) for the whole trek:
- US$20 single accommodation
ALTERNATIVE ROUTES: Cachicata to Machu Picchu Huchuyqosqo to Machu Picchu Lares to Machu Picchu Huchuyqosqo Patabamba To Machu Picchu Salkantay to Machu Picchu Salkantay Santa Teresa to Machu Picchu Vilcabamba to Machu Picchu
ALTERNATIVE ROUTES: Aausangate Choquequirao Vilcabamba Llama Trek Choquequirao Lares VILCABAMBA
ECOTURISM: Manu Tambopata
FESTIVITIES: Inti Raymi Paucartambo Qoyllorriti
PACKAGES: Inti Raymi Packages 7d/6n Inca Empire Package 8d/7n Puma Package 9d/8n Inti Raymi Peru 10d/9n Majestic Peru Package 13d/12n Traditional Peru Packages 14d/13n Q'ente Package 16d/15n Condor Package 16d/15n Adventure Peru Packages 16d/15n Alternative Condor Packages 17d/16n Extraordinary Peru Package 20d/19n
TRADITIONAL TOURS: City Tour Sacred Valley Tour Machupicchu